SEIU Local 509
SEIU Local 509 (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Director of Communications
Location: Marlborough, MA
SEIU Local 509 is hiring a communications director to drive the union’s strategic internal and external communications programs. Local 509 is seeking a proactive, goal-focused strategic thinker who will devise and implement innovative communications programs that advance the organizing and public policy priorities of human service workers and educators throughout Massachusetts.
Communicators with multiple years of communications and management experience will be considered for a position on Local 509’s senior leadership team, managing a team of communicators based in the local’s Marlborough, Massachusetts office (with some travel required).
ABOUT SEIU LOCAL 509
SEIU Local 509 represents nearly 20,000 human service workers and educators throughout Massachusetts. We provide a variety of social services to elders, at-risk children and people with mental illnesses or developmental disabilities — as well as educational services in both public and private sector settings. From mental health clinicians and social workers to early childhood educators and university lecturers, Local 509 members are united in our mission to raise living standards for all working families while improving the quality and affordability of the services we provide. Local 509 is part of the 2.1 million-member Service Employees International Union, the fastest-growing labor union in the United States.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
* Protect and advance Local 509’s brand as a leading advocate for quality services, family-supporting jobs and strong communities
* Provide strategic leadership on key member engagement initiatives, including message development around priority issues and campaigns
* Act as primary point of contact for journalists, editors, producers and bloggers
* Coordinate earned and paid media outreach to generate coverage that communicates the impact of our work in human services and education
* Supervise communications staff, interns and consultants
* Oversee design and production of written and online materials
* Curate and enhance content for the union’s website and social media properties — including Twitter, Facebook and YouTube
* Train members and staff on best practices in communication technology
* Lead marketing efforts around the benefits available to union members
* Bilingual candidates may assist with translation needs, where applicable
Other duties as assigned
* 3-5 or 7+ years experience in communications and new media roles with unions, progressive candidates/elected officials or grassroots organizations (or comparable work in the field of journalism or marketing)
* Strong verbal and written communication skills, with demonstrable success distilling complex issues into simple, public-facing messages
* Thorough understanding of the contemporary media landscape and current communications strategies and tactics
* Commitment to the labor movement and overall progressive social change
* Ability to work under pressure, both independently and as part of a team
* Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends
* Experience supervising staff and managing consultant/vendor relationships
* Proven track record working with journalists and bloggers to secure positive media coverage – including crisis management experience
* Ability to conceptualize and design print materials (using, Adobe Creative Suite, Quark, Microsoft Publisher, etc.)
* Working knowledge of common content management programs (such as WordPress) and social media tools — HTML familiarity preferred
* Proficiency with photo and/or video equipment and editing software (Photoshop, Light Room, iMovie, Final Cut, etc.)
* Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills are a plus
Communications team members work under the supervision of the union’s President and Chief of Staff — who review work for effectiveness, timeliness, accuracy and conformance with relevant rules and regulations.
SALARY & BENEFITS
SEIU Local 509 offers competitive salaries (commensurate with experience) and a generous benefits package – including car allowance.
Interested candidates should include in their application a résumé, cover letter, and samples of writing and design work .
SEIU Local 509 is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity — women, people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.Click2apply.net/pjfkkdddhpt7b8v4 →