Massachusetts Society of CPAs
Job Title: Communications Manager
Reports to: Senior Director of Communications
Supervises: Communications Specialist
Reporting to the senior director of communications, the communications manager leads the MSCPA’s strategic communications and is responsible for developing content and targeted messaging that drives sales, retention, engagement, brand awareness and positive customer behavior. Activities include serving as managing editor of SumNews magazine, crafting strategic, segmented messages for marketing campaigns, and writing, editing and proofreading compelling, creative and persuasive content for all the Society’s communications channels. The communications manager monitors work and regularly evaluates results to ensure that departmental objectives and operational goals are met and align with the mission of the Society.
Duties and responsibilities:
· Develops and manages the content strategy for all MSCPA marketing campaigns and strategic communications.
· Lead writer, editor and proofreader for all Society communications, across all platforms. Writes, edits and proofreads content; serves as the “voice” of the organization and crafts compelling copy, as well as curating and reshaping relevant content; and authoring original content that reaches targeted audiences and aids in increasing transactions (membership purchases/renewals, event registrations, volunteer engagement, CPE sales, etc.) for all departments through targeted marketing campaigns, newsletters, publications, advertisements, email marketing, press releases, letters, social media, scripts, speeches, websites, blogs and all other print and digital materials
· Serves as the managing editor of SumNews magazine. Responsible for the content plan for each issue and works with the Communications Department to ensure deadlines are met. Works with authors; writing and editing original articles, features, member spotlights, Society news, internal ads and other magazine content; overseeing production and the editorial process and serving as the liaison to the editorial board
· Supervises the Communications Specialist to ensure all content and collateral are engaging, error-free and on-brand, and consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice and optimized for search and user experience for all content channels
· Manages the mail broadcast calendar and works with the Senior Manager of Marketing on how to reframe messages to combine emails where needed. Under the direction of the Senior Manager of Marketing, makes changes to the schedule as necessary
· Oversees website content and assists Communications Specialist in making changes when needed
· Keeps up-to-date on new and emerging strategic and digital communications trends and platforms and makes suggestions when appropriate
· Collaborates with the Senior Manager of Marketing on campaign messaging strategies/themes and shifts direction when needed, based on data analytics
· Regularly scans for and communicates news, issues, resources and other relevant content impacting CPAs and Massachusetts businesses
· Champions and promotes the MSCPA’s style guide as part of the Society’s brand guidelines. Stays on top of AP style changes and communicates those changes to staff
· Adheres to the MSCPA’s communications budget as set forth by the senior director of communications, and makes suggestions when appropriate
· Regularly attends Society events to learn about our membership and customers to understand how to effectively communicate our programs and offerings to them
· Serves on the Management/Director Leadership Team
· Supervises Communications Specialist
· Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field or equivalent experience is preferred
· Minimum five years communications experience is required, either in-house or agency
· Exceptional written and oral communications skills
· Exceptional business communications and marketing style writing, editing and proofreading skills
· Exceptional creativity, strategic thinking and storytelling skills
· Strong knowledge of strategic and digital communications, including social media, mobile, web and e-communications
· Strong ability to analyze financial and other data for communications strategy
· Strong knowledge of AP Style Guide and/or corporate style standards
· Excellent project management and organizational skills
· Technology savvy and comfortable learning new software programs, including Microsoft Office, Adobe, broadcast email platforms and website content management systems
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a senior director of communications encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
· Sitting for long periods, typing and writing
· Some light lifting/standing may be required at Society events and programs
Mental & Visual Demands
· Computer work
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
The Massachusetts Society of CPAs, Inc. complies with all aspects of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and state disability laws. This means that we will not discriminate against qualified individuals with a disability in any phase of the employment relationship including application for employment, hiring, promotions and/or advancement opportunities, termination, compensation, training and any other conditions or privileges of employment.
Interested applicants should email their cover letter, resume and at least two writing samples to Elizabeth Emanuelson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com