Harvard Kennedy School
Office of Communications and Public Affairs
00 – Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Duties & Responsibilities
Position Summary: As a pivotal member in the Office of Communications and Public Affairs (OCPA), the Senior Writer/Editor has primary responsibility for preparing written communication for a variety of media for the Dean of Harvard Kennedy School. In addition, the Senior Writer/Editor partners with content creators within OCPA to promote Harvard Kennedy School’s mission of shaping public policy and training future public leaders. Primary duties include providing strategic communications, guidance and writing support for the Dean, and producing compelling content for OCPA’s numerous publications and digital platforms.
- Provides strategic communications guidance and writing support to the Dean for internal and external communications, particularly on high-priority occasion-specific messages, speeches, papers, and for social media. Develops and executes communication plans and produces specific content pieces including donor outreach, speechwriting, crisis communications, talking points, and internal community messaging.
- Determines the themes, content, and style of each speech or communication in close collaboration with the Dean, the Dean’s Leadership Team, and key members of the OCPA team.
- Oversees and coordinates major announcements sent by the Dean via email. Works with other offices to gather information necessary to respond to inquiries.
- Collaborates with the Dean’s Office to manage and maintain messaging and content on the Dean’s internal website. Drafts and edits a high volume of diverse correspondence. Proofreads all copy for accuracy, tone, consistency and appearances.
- Participates in OCPA strategy meetings that involve news gathering and publications, brainstorming ideas and developing high-impact content to inform and engage the School’s many audiences.
- Ensures that all communications properly reflect the values and policies of the Harvard Kennedy School, the Dean and OCPA.
- Develops digital news content and marketing collateral promoting HKS programs, initiatives, events, faculty, research, students, and alumni.
- Works as part of the OCPA team to identify and develop compelling content for targeted audiences.
- Builds and maintains productive working relationships with other communicators throughout the school to facilitate the sharing of content across various channels and platforms.
- Helps contribute strategic thinking on the office’s direction in the fast-paced field of communications.
Please upload your resume and cover letter as one document.
Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
B.A. required. At least five years of professional writing experience.
- M.A. preferred in Communications, Journalism, or related field.
- Must possess outstanding strategic communications skills, writing and editing skills, a strong news sense, an ability to speak in an institutional voice, proficiency in the use of social media, and excellent attention to detail.
- Understanding of the mission and values of Harvard Kennedy School helpful.
- Must possess good project management skills and the ability to meet project deadlines.
- Must be capable of working on multiple projects and enjoy working as part of a team.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.Click2Apply.net/9m98r2mwnrqkwpbp →